Sunday, April 1, 2007

All in a Days Work

I cleaned the pantry out yesterday. What a job. After I woke up at 6:30, and pondered the condition of human existence I started itching to do something productive.
Prior to having my second child, I was the most organized well-put together person. My refrigerator was always cleaned, my life always recorded in a neat calendar, and my sock drawer looked like a picture. (Ok, that may be a stretch)
My mom instilled a deep need to purge clothes, shoes and junk from every part of our life. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that we moved about the country with the ease of a band of Gypsies. A family cannot have too much on its back if your only mode of transportation is a VW Rabbit, circa 1980.
Since the birth of my dear Mosey, things have changed just a bit.
Laura reminds me, in a nice way of course, that I should be growing veggies in my garden, not at the bottom of the refrigerator. My poor little calendar sits closed at my bedside. The first month I got it I entered the first 5 months with a day or two off. Now I can’t even bear to pick it up. My sock drawer, lets just say there are items of clothing in there that were worn only in the last week or two of pregnancy…ladies, you got me?
Yesterday I said ENOUGH! I will gain back control of my home. Lets start with the pantry.
Now I know why I never do this kind of stuff.
It started out ok at first. I began by pulling out spices that were in complete disarray due to the fact that there is usually four small children in my home and at one point or another have all taken a swipe at the many culinary condiments hanging on the wall.
As the process really started getting more involved, the children inevitably noticed that mommy was doing something unusual, and there were many things that are usually out of reach right in front of them!!!!!!!!
I decided to sit them at the table and let them play with pots and a couple cups of dried beans. They were great, at first. Slowly one bean, then another would bounce to the floor. They paid them no mind until one bounced right back up on the table, SCORE! Pretty soon it became a game to see how far each of them could throw a bean, then 10 beans. I was so entrenched in my project I could not bear to pull myself away and end the beaning. Anyway, I rationalized I started it.
I am not sure what came next, the dried oatmeal all over the kitchen and dining room floor, or the honey squirts all over the carpet? Needless to say, Mark spent about as much time cleaning up from my cleaning up as I did cleaning the pantry.
All in a days work.

Ps. Camera is MIA. To bad!

No comments: